You are settling in for the night while the wind is blowing hard outside. It is nice to know that you can be warm and comfortable indoors during wintertime–especially when the weather gets nasty like this–and it’s all thanks to your heater.
But you have a problem. Your heater is starting to make enough noise to rival the sound of the wind. Why is your system becoming so noisy? Is it a cause for concern?
The truth is that a noisy heater is one that likely needs a professional heating repair in Niles, IL. If you need help with your heating system, you can rest assured we are here to help.
What’s With All the Noise?
A noisy heater, whether it is a furnace, boiler, or heat pump, isn’t something to ignore. Most of the noises have one or more possible causes that are all signs something is wrong in the heating system. The sooner you contact a professional to address these sounds, the better off your heater and your home comfort will be.
Here are five common noises you should know never to ignore:
- Rattling: Maybe you notice a rattling sound that makes it sound like your heater has a maraca. This isn’t something to ignore. Rattling can be an indicator that your heater has some loose parts that are shaking around in their housing. Alternatively, rattling could be caused by the expansion of your heat exchanger which will widen any cracks that it has, allowing those metal parts to rattle and create noise.
- Hissing: Hissing is not to be confused with the whoosh of air that you are supposed to hear from your heater. If you hear hissing it could be due to a clogged filter or a leaky duct. It could also be another sign that you have a cracked heat exchanger.
- Screeching: Does it sound like your heater is screeching or screaming? It isn’t a sign that your heater is coming to life, but it is a sign something is off inside of it. This may mean there is a fan blade coming loose or it could mean that you have a belt that needs lubrication or replacement.
- Banging: When you run your heater, you might hear the expansion of your ducts. This can be normal to a point. If you hear extremely loud banging, it could mean your heater isn’t sized properly.
- Buzzing or humming: Last but not least, reach out for repairs if you hear buzzing or humming. These might be easy to write off but they are sounds that can indicate an electrical issue within your heater. Trust us when we say that electrical issues are something to leave to a professional.
As we said previously, concerning noises coming from your heater aren’t something to ignore. They are often an early warning sign that you need to contact a professional for repairs before the issue in your system worsens.
When you need reliable heating repairs, contact ServiceMax. We are here for you 24/7.