A quality air conditioning system can often last for around 15 years, maybe more, while still providing the right level of cooling for a home and without wasting energy. If you have a system that is over 10 years old and you’ve noticed that it isn’t working as well as it should (problems with cooling, increased energy bills), there are some steps you can take to make it work better. Below are a few of them.
- Schedule routine maintenance from HVAC professionals—and continue it every year. This is perhaps the most important step to take when it comes to seeing that an AC endures as long as possible. If you haven’t already had maintenance done each spring, get started on it right away.
- Clean out the air filter once a month. The filter will clog up during the summer if it isn’t attended to each month, which is the amount of time it takes for debris to congest it. A clogged filter will give an AC numerous problems, so make sure that you take the important step of keeping it clean, or replacing the filter if the system uses temporary filters.
- Upgrade the thermostat. If you are still using a manual thermostat, you are probably not getting the best service possible for your air conditioner. Putting in a new digital programmable model, or a “smart” thermostat, can do wonders for improving AC performance.
- Arrange for repairs. Most of the time, this is the step you will need to take to correct an air conditioner that simply isn’t doing the job it should. Hopefully, there is a problem that targeted repairs from a professional will fix and let the AC continue to operate for a few more years. Otherwise…
- Sometimes you’ll simply have to accept that air conditioning system is too old and replacing it is the best short- and long-term solution. Your professional HVAC technician can help you make the choice and then arrange for putting in the new AC.
If you need air conditioning maintenance, repairs, or a full replacement, call on Malek Heating & Cooling. We serve Skokie, IL and the rest of the Chicagoland area.